Thursday, February 07, 2008

A Really Really Brief History of Donkey Kong

This is a short film I directed for the King Of Kong DVD.




I don't know if you're familiar with this movie, but it is great. It's an epic battle of good and evil. It's about Steve Wiebe vs. Billy Mitchell for the highest score on Donkey Kong. The movie is really more about the players.

After watching this movie, I think that Weibe deserves the title, BUT I also think the Billy Mitchell is an AMAZING gamer! One of the top of our lifetime. He's portrayed as the villian, but he is still deserves the recognition for his gaming feats. Just to put it into perspective, there probably wouldn't even be competative arcade gaming if it wasn't for Billy Mitchell.

Jon felt that the movie needed some kind of historical perspective of the actual Donkey Kong game, so the short was born.

I sure didn't do this short alone! We were under the gun for this one. We turned it around in 2 weeks--and that's all after hours work! It was a huge labor of love for everyone that worked on it at I Am 8bit Studios:

Written and Produced by Jon M. Gibson
Told by Eric Bauza
Music by 8 Bit Weapon
Designed by Steve Lambe and I
Animated by Tony Mora and I
After Effects by Matt Gadbois

Here's my animatic, just be warned, the whole thing is rough and on yellow post-its.



Every short starts with what is called a color script. This is a way to keep and overview of the whole film's color. It's a way to plan out the intensity and relationships of all the colors in all the scenes in order. Color is SUPER imporant. It basically dictates the emotions in the film--all following the story that is.

"Shiggy" Shigeru Miyamoto. I hope I've done him proud!


I loved designing DK. I must say that I despise the new DK design--ruined by RARE.


Here's some of Steve's Nintendo businessmen:

Thanks again everyone for such a fine job, and especially New Line for paying for it!

Labels: , , , ,

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Miyamoto!

12:06 AM  
Blogger Lamar The Revenger said...

it was such an awesome short! when you showed it the first time, i wanted to savor every moment by pausing it and watching it at 1/8 speed. so good!

1:13 AM  
Blogger Savage said...

You guys did a great short and I look forward to seeing more of your talented and entertaining work! :)

7:35 AM  
Blogger Mitch said...

Didn't know the movie.

Awesome animation! It's all fun.
Do you always use post-its for the animatic?
Thanks for sharing all this stuff.

Hope you will make a dvd collection =)

11:06 AM  
Blogger Mukpuddy said...

Freakin love it dude!!!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Dee C.K. said...

YEY! Very cool stuff Gabe... You all did a great job pulling it all together!
Sweeeet! ;)

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great, Gabe!!!
Proud! I'm so freakin' proud!
xoxox
Mom

5:40 PM  
Blogger Alina Chau said...

HA ! HA !! AWESOME!! Great to see you last week!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Brian Romero said...

Great job Gabe and crew!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Doktor Viktor Von Kreep said...

This is cool! Great design and animation! Being one of my favorite 8-bit titles since I was a kid, Donkey Kong is still the king! I'll have to check out the dvd for sure!

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gabe...
I don't know if you'll remember me or not, but I had to take a shot. Carrie Miller. Ring any bells? If it does shoot me an email I would LOVE to catch up, I think it's been about 10 years!
cmills520@yahoo.com

5:31 PM  
Blogger The GagaMan(n) said...

Gotta agree on Donkey Kong's design; Nintendo should really revert him back to his old look. I love how you draw the characters; Kong is so full of glee and joy and I can't get over the short stumpy Mario. Your design sense is a true inspiration mate. =D

4:17 PM  
Blogger Marco A. Ibarra said...

Your designs are amazing, you have a fantastic sense of abstraction and composition, needless to say you´re a great and extremely fast animator. Truly inspirational, congrats.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Carlos V. said...

Super sweet banner dude!!! How did you do that?? By the way, I wish they designed a mario game based on your design, it rocks!!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Mitch K said...

OMG THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!

3:40 AM  
Blogger tirui said...

love it!!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Chris E. said...

So nice. I like the stylized 80's Donkey Kong.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Chris E. said...

I also like how Pauline flails her arms around and screams, even at the big party.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

看房子,買房子,建商自售,自售,台北新成屋,台北豪宅,新成屋,豪宅,美髮儀器,美髮,儀器,髮型,EMBA,MBA,學位,EMBA,專業認證,認證課程,博士學位,DBA,PHD,在職進修,碩士學位,推廣教育,DBA,進修課程,碩士學位,網路廣告,關鍵字廣告,關鍵字,課程介紹,學分班,文憑,牛樟芝,段木,牛樟菇,日式料理, 台北居酒屋,日本料理,結婚,婚宴場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,台北結婚,場地,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,造型系列,學位,SEO,婚宴,捷運,學區,美髮,儀器,髮型,看房子,買房子,建商自售,自售,房子,捷運,學區,台北新成屋,台北豪宅,新成屋,豪宅,學位,碩士學位,進修,在職進修, 課程,教育,學位,證照,mba,文憑,學分班,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,婚宴,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,婚宴,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,婚宴,結婚,婚宴場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北結婚,場地,結婚,場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北結婚,婚宴場地,結婚,婚宴場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北結婚,場地,居酒屋,燒烤,美髮,儀器,髮型,美髮,儀器,髮型,美髮,儀器,髮型,美髮,儀器,髮型,小套房,小套房,進修,在職進修,留學,證照,MBA,EMBA,留學,MBA,EMBA,留學,進修,在職進修,牛樟芝,段木,牛樟菇,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,PMP,在職專班,研究所在職專班,碩士在職專班,PMP,證照,在職專班,研究所在職專班,碩士在職專班,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,EMBA,MBA,PMP
,在職進修,專案管理,出國留學,EMBA,MBA,PMP
,在職進修,專案管理,出國留學,EMBA,MBA,PMP,在職進修,專案管理,出國留學,婚宴,婚宴,婚宴,婚宴,漢高資訊,漢高資訊,比利時,比利時聯合商學院,宜蘭民宿,台東民宿,澎湖民宿,墾丁民宿,花蓮民宿,SEO,找工作,汽車旅館,阿里山,日月潭,阿里山民宿,東森購物,momo購物台,pc home購物,購物

漢高資訊,漢高資訊,在職進修,漢高資訊,在職進修,民宿,民宿,整形,造型,室內設計,室內設計,漢高資訊,在職進修,漢高資訊,在職進修,民宿,美容,室內設計,在職進修,羅志祥,周杰倫,五月天,民宿,民宿,整形,整形,室內設計,室內設計,比利時聯合商學院,在職進修,比利時聯合商學院,在職進修,漢高資訊,找工作,找工作,找工作,找工作,找工作,蔡依林,林志玲

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home